Monday, January 16, 2012

Cakes of 2011

My final cake of 2011 was a cake for my son Andrew turning 6. He along with my other son are obsessed with Legos and Harry Potter! He said he wanted a Lego Hagrid's hut for a cake, which I was fine with. Well last minute we decided to have the party a day earlier (which we could do because it was only family coming) and all I had was a bare baked cake. I literally had 3 hours to fill and decorate this cake completely! I wish I would have had more time because there would have been a lot more detail, but he was happy and that's what counts!



This is another baby shower cake made only two weeks after the other for one of my best friends. I decided to make the cake match her baby layette. There are more sides to this cake, but too many pictures to add! It is an 8" and 6" chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling covered with fondant with all fondant details. She loved it and couldn't believe how much it looks like her decor.




This cake was made for a friend's wife who was pregnant with her little girl. It is an 8" and 6" tiered chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling. Since the little girl to be is named violet, I had to incorporate purple! Both tiers covered with fondant with fondant buttons and ribbon roses.


Here is a big poker chip! My husband had his 30th Birthday this past year and he is a big fan of Texas Hold em'. I made a 10" round carrot cake and filled with cream cheese filling. The cake is covered in black fondant and all the rest of the details are also fondant. We had a Texas Hold em' poker party to go along with the cake and his sister ended up "taking the cake". (winning-ha!)







Here is a wedding cake I made only 2 days after the one below! I doubt I will do that ever again! I am only a one man crew, so that was a bit hectic for me. This cake I made into a three tier cake with an additional sheet cake. The bottom tier is Lemon cake with huckleberry cream cheese filling, the middle tier is white cake with strawberry buttercream, and the top tier is a chocolate cake with Bavarian cream filling. The cakes are covered with an ivory tinted vanilla buttercream with piping scroll work on the bottom and top tier, while the middle tier is a "splotchy spatula" look to it. Jade and tangerine ribbon with fresh wildflowers were the finishing touches for this wedding cake!



Here was a wedding cake I made for one of my sister's friends. The tier sizes are 16", 12", 9", and 6". The cakes were Chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling and white cake with a strawberry buttercream filling. The cakes were covered with a vanilla buttercream and then stenciled with a black buttercream frosting. Pink Ribbon, Roses, and an "A" monogram gave this cake beautiful finishing touches. I was worried about the mother of the bride who repeatedly told me how disappointing it has been for her to eat terrible tasting wedding cake. As I waited for what seemed like forever after she took a bite she tells me "This is the best wedding cake I've ever tasted"!


May the Force be with You! Here is a cake I made for my son turning 8. He is a big Lego and Star Wars fan and wanted his cake to reflect that! I ended up making 8 of his favorite Lego Star Wars characters each holding a birthday candle. They are made of fondant and gumpaste. The cakes are 8" and 6" rounds stacked and covered with a black buttercream. The Logo and borders are made of fondant and by the way the cake was a lemon cake with cream cheese and huckleberry filling!





Here is a fairly simple cake I made for my niece Kylah. Like most little girls, she is a Hannah Montana fanatic! I used the Wilton star pan and baked a blue velvet cake! I filled it with cream cheese filling and frosted the sides pink and used an impression mat to make the ridges. I then used a star tip and covered the rest of the cake. The "Hannah Montana" logo was made with candy melts and an alphabet mold.



Here is a cake I made for my Father in Law. He is a real Montana boy and grew up in the Mission Valley fishing with his Dad and 4 older brothers. The cake is a 10" round white cake with a strawberry buttercream filling. The blue water is vanilla buttercream as well as the green plants. The rocks are colored and shaped fondant and finally the Rainbow Trout is craft foam covered with fondant and painted with food coloring.


No comments: